Monday, August 11, 2008

A Paper Doll in a Barbie World

At least that's what dial-up internet feels like nowadays.

I walked into Best Buy today passing their new catch-phrase slogan posted, um, everywhere, on everything--"You, Happier." I smiled because this slogan was also pasted all over the PC computer screens. "Yeah, right," I thought to myself with a cocky-but-for-good-reasons smile on my face.

I liked to think that my experience has quite ruled out the possiblity that price tags can yeild happiness. But my egg shell worldview shattered to the sound of a modem dialing the number for the world wide web. Forced, though without an agrument, I now know there is a price tag that will and does yeild happiness. It's the price tag attached to high-speed internet. Relative, sure, but then again, you try gmailing a group of friends and facebooking on a dialed-up 40kps connection in 100 mbps world.

All of this to ask, is relying heavily on the internet as my primary means of connection to friends and aquaintences a bad thing, or a wise thing?

This is me hoping I'm nearing the end of an uncharted interlude without a means of a high speed connection to blogging, facebook, and e-mail.

No comments: