Monday, November 19, 2007

A Reunion

Spent a weekend with brothers, and left changed, renewed.  I'm referring back to a community of brothers that changed my life during few waking years at college.  (see Late Nights in Loescher Hall) Mic, the eldest, our leader, married his love. He never missed a moment to lead us--even in his marriage.  I'm not talking about the power kind of leadership.  I'm not talking about position.  If you're looking for positions, you'd consider him the least of us all.  (go figure) I'm talking about him, his relationship to us all, who he is, and his vision that hides itself in action--and by action, I refer to the most profound sense of giving I know.  Mic speaks into my being and moves me along the journey of change--deep change.  It's the change that isn't talked about, but rather, it's the kind felt by people around me.  Whether it's filling the role of a brother I never had before in teaching me to treat a girl right, or showing me the heart of a giver so I can never but do the same in a competition type of way, Mic taught me something about community.  Give. Nothing more, nothing less.  And when you think about it, it is the essence of love.  Love in this dimension can only come from one source. The One who Gives what our souls crave--the capacity to give, without limit.  

1 comment:

Brokenness-Quebrantado said...

Why is that we desire that intimate and deep relationship not only with God but with others? It is within us, part of our nature as human begins. True and real intimacy. The same intimacy that Adam and Eve had in the beginning and the true intimacy we can have now in Christ.I have experienced that love you are talking about, not only from God but from the person who has put here on earth to practice that love to me. A person that can give love without limits, without asking in return, forgiving even the most horrible and destructive of the offenses, selfishness. She has loved me, encouraged me, believed in me, she has given me her hand, her tears, her shoulders, heart heart. A safe place where I can be myself, broken, imperfect, selfish, immature. She has been my only best friend I have ever had: Paula, my wife. I don't know how many men can say that their best friend is their wives. I can because I have lived through it. She has helped me to be even more intimate with other men who now have become close friends. Thanks for sharing what this brother has been to you, this generation is seeking for people willing to show themselves.....May you Breath God in every place you are....