Thursday, October 4, 2007

A Perspective on Sleep

Nothing profound from me tonight, but maybe something to make you smile. I'm reading The Horse and His Boy by C.S. Lewis just because I wanted to read it again plus I want the company before I sleep at night. Regardless, I'm at the beginning of a great escape where Shasta is on the run with his talking horse-companion having escaped from being sold into slavery by his "owner." Shasta meets a princess-in-disguise also leaving her native country for the renowned free land of Narnia. A poor young boy and a miserable princess both flee on talking horses. They inescapably are matched together to overcome the odds of actually fleeing this empire alive and unscathed. And I'm at the part where they work themselves tired debating how to get through the capital city. I love the suggestion,

"We'll settle that tomorrow, Ma'am," said Bree. "Time for a little sleep now."


And so they pressed on in this epic adventure. Sleep lasts a line in this story. And to think I nearly live for sleep, and lament that it doesn't last long enough? Indeed, it's a sad commentary on how easy it is to lose one's place in the epic Story God wrote. The story full of unending life, haunting wounds, looming wars with the evil one, a sacred romance with the Lover, victory, and the promise of life happily ever after. For Shasta and his friends, sleep was a mere pause necessary for their adventure. For me, I craved my sleep at night, and lamented the morning for robbing me of its lure. The love of sleep is a potion concocted by the Evil One to lull us into a sleep so deep that we'd forget all about the urgency and beauty of the Adventure. I think I was awakened from this sleep, though its effects linger still. No point in laboring over it now, I'll settle it tomorrow, "for it's time for a little sleep."

3 comments:

Cindy Timm said...

This blog was more powerful than i think you realise. God really spoke to me through it.My life is filled to maximum capacity and im constantly tired.exhausted.frustrated.i feel robbed of the rest some people have in abundance and take for granted.i excuse my short-temperedness and impatience, attributing it to my lack of sleep which is unacceptable.i seek the adventure you speak of..i want to have a part in God's story and not just read it.every adventuror must lay some things aside to complete the journey that now awaits him:)

tim benedict said...

plus, my dear friend cindy, the story God writes has many perils, desert crossings, dangerous sword fights, moments of beauty, and lots of sleepless nights. the danger in it all is losing a sense of the adventure-big picture-ultimate goal, or still worse yet, no longer believing it. honestly, our stories are the least bit boring.

Micah said...

definately haven't seen you in awhile