Wednesday, November 17, 2010

A Clear Mind

"The end of all things is near. Therefore be clear minded and self-controlled so that you can pray."  -1 Peter 4:7
Ever since the doctors confirmed that I have some expensive health condition that predisposes me to feeling fatigued (or worse), I've had something to blame for my reluctance to wake up earlier than absolutely necessary.  And I think that made me worse.

Being clear minded is the opposite of what I am when my alarm goes off at 6:00 am.  Not being self-controlled is the reason I allow my alarm to annoy my wife until 7:30 am.

But being purchased, redeemed, loved, and forgiven by the blood of Jesus Christ is the reason the former bothers me.  He loves me.  I love him.  I need him.  I need his strength.  It's how I grow in grace and knowledge.  And when I read these words in Peter's letter, I saw clearly why the Spirit of God through Peter issued this command.  Unless we be clear minded and self-controlled, we'll not be able to pray.

And as unspiritual as I am sometimes, I closed by Bible and talked to my God about one thing.  Being clear minded.

It's funny, but having a clear mind and being self-controlled create more hours in day.

1 comment:

Toby Locke said...

I feel ya, man - and I don't have a medical condition! Thanks for letting us into your mind, clear or unclear.