Thursday, November 11, 2010

Erasing Dried Dry-Erase Marker

I have a broad fascination with blank sheets of white paper, blank unused moleskine journals, and whiteboards. I love creativity. I love the raw potential that exists in all things white and otherwise blank. But I hate it at the same time. I used to dread taking out my water color set and not knowing what to create on that white paper. I dread the white unused spaces in my journal. I've identified it as my arch-nemesis. That's why I can never start my moleskines on page one. I'm afraid of messing up, making mistakes. Thats the page where my fear dwells. Essentially, while I'm full of creative potential creativity, I kinetically destroy it.

That's why I love whiteboards. More than that, I love colored dry-erase markers. I love using my fingers to perfect mistakes. Because whiteboards aren't the creation. They inspire it. Whiteboards are meant to be incessantly filled with words and pictures and then erased to be replaced. This is where my creation thrives.

Except when I don't erase it, and worse, when I walk away from it. And for a very long time.

Makes me sad.

Because erasing dried dry erase markers is impossible, no matter how hard I tried.

But I learned something. There's one amazing way to erase old, dried dry erase marker on a whiteboard:  Start creating again, right over top those old dried out stains.

And that's exactly what I'm going to do. As messy as I am. I'll give my fear only one page. This is page 2.


No comments: